The long-awaited moment of leaving on vacation is approaching, and with it that of packing your suitcase. To help you in this task, here is a checklist of what you absolutely must put in your luggage, whatever your destination.
The essential clothes
No need to take your whole wardrobe with you on a trip : the amount of spare clothes you put in your suitcase will be conditioned by the length of your stay (you will travel lighter if you are going away for the weekend ) or even the presence of a washing machine or laundromat on site. However, some essentials must always be carried. For a week’s vacation, you will need:
- 7 briefs, underpants or panties and 3 bras
- 7 pairs of socks (to be reduced if you know that you will only wear open shoes)
- A night outfit
- 3 bottoms (shorts, pants, skirts, etc.)
- 7 tops (tanks, t-shirts, tunics…)
Remember to always take at least two pairs of shoes to be able to change them as well as a pair of comfortable shoes.
Choose shoes in line with the activities you will practice on site.
Slipping a dressier outfit into your luggage when packing can be useful if you know you’ll be going on a more specific outing, like a restaurant.
Also choose clothes adapted to the tone of your stay: while little dresses will be perfect for walks in the city, shorts and a sports tank top will be more suitable for sports activities.
Toiletry bag essentials
The toilet bag must also be prepared with the greatest care in order to carry the essentials of hygiene but also the products that you like.
You will therefore need:
- Toothbrushes for the whole family
- Shower gel or soap
- A shampoo
- A hairbrush
- Shaving or hair removal products
- make-up remover
- Periodic protections
By plane, pay attention to the quantities contained in your products if you put a toiletry bag in your hand luggage.
These must then be slipped into transparent plastic bags.
Liquids in particular must be placed in checked baggage.
Essentials for the sun
If you are going on vacation in the sun , you will need some specific accessories:
- Sun glasses
- Two bathing suits (to have one available while the second dries)
- A sarong
- A cap or hat
- Flip flops or flip flops
- Preferably a microfiber beach towel
- A diving mask and a snorkel to discover the seabed
- An anti-UV t-shirt for the little ones
Essentials for the cold
If you prefer to go to less warm latitudes, consider packing in your suitcase:
- One or two big sweaters
- A beanie
- thick socks
Essentials for the rain
Whatever your destination, you are not necessarily immune to a downpour.
To protect yourself from the rain, remember to take a waterproof jacket or an umbrella with you.
Some travel accessories will be useful whatever your destination :
- A camera
- Plastic bags for dirty laundry
- An insulated water bottle
- A cooler bag
- A pocket ashtray if you smoke
- A sleeping mask and a travel pillow for public transport in particular
- A backpack for walks
The essentials of the first aid kit
Don’t forget to pack a well-thought-out first aid kit containing:
- Current orders
- A thermometer
- small scissors
- An antibacterial
- Medicines for fever and pain
- Your contraceptive
Again, check carefully what is allowed in cabin baggage if you are flying.